Friday, April 06, 2007

No Justice For The Phantom Of Old Rave



As I was walking through the train station on my way home from work, I walked into the middle of a flash rave. If you're unfamiliar witht he concept, click here

I got into it, as much as I did, because I was listening to this:

IT'S ME BITCHES (Remix) - LIL WAYNE, R KELLY, JADAKISS and SWIZZ BEATZ



I missed the start of the flash rave, and I guess that if you miss the flash you're never really in the picture, but it was a distancing experience. Everyone has headphones on, and is moving in different time to different music. When the real howling and hooting and hollering takes over, you have headphones blasting, so you miss the full effect of a group getting audibly wild.

I could hear the sound of the station in the background. Commuters are really loud. I was wearing headphones, not miracles.

WHAT PLANET, WHAT STATION (Instrumental) - DJ DAY

Maybe next time I'll run around changing headphones with cute girls.

I can play them this:

WILCO - ALWAYS IN LOVE



In this blippage of new raves and flash raves, I think an important thing to remember about raving is that sharing music, having fun and getting down are way more important than the question "Who is looking at me."

Making out with headphones on in a train station is like going for a moonlight walk on a beach wearing oven mits.

My homeboy Steve Honey bounces with a love for music, it crackles through the dude and you can faintly hear the love, even when there's total silence. He's been shredding dancefloors and putting them on his sandwich for years under the DJ CODA name, his new project is:

PHANTOHMS

No comments: