Friday, May 08, 2009

Like?



In the winter of 2005, I was holed up in Toronto, living mostly alone in a four bedroom house on barely the right side of the tracks, staying warm, being poor, doing comedy and working at HMV.

That winter, as every cold winter (and spring/summer/fall) I took refuge in songs, and titled all of my mixtapes after tunes by Ike Turner & The King's of Rhythm. I still listen to "Prancin'" and "The Rooster."

IKE TURNER & THE KINGS OF RHYTHM - Getting Nasty

Ike was bad, but he's dead, so I like him.



A scene from the Shannen Doherty/Cypress Hill Saturday Night Live
(Aired October 2nd, 1993)


Ike Turner Played by Tim Meadows
Kevin Nealon Played By Himself

Kevin Nealon: Joining us this week to help sort out the new Clinton Health Care Plan, is Weekend Update correspondent, Ike Turner. Welcome, Ike.

Ike Turner: Alright, thank you, thank you, Kevin Nealon. Well, President Clinton brought out his newest plan, baby, because there are 225 million people in this country without Health Care, you dig?

Kevin Nealon: Uh, excuse me, Ike. I believe that figure is 25 million people without Health Care.

Ike Turner: I don't need that from you, Kevin Nealon!

Kevin Nealon: Oh.. sorry, Ike. I was just trying to help you out.. sorry.

Ike Turner: Oh, you trying to help Ike, huh? You trying to help Ike? Ike don't need your help! If I can get a band, I got songs in my head, I could get my music going, baby!

Kevin Nealon: Yeah. Ike, uh.. you were talking about the Clinton Health Care Package, I believe..

Ike Turner: Oh, okay, Kevin Nealon, is that how it is, huh? Fine! You want to talk about Health Care, baby? You want to take about Health Care with Ike?! Alright, then, look at this, huh, look at this.. [ pulls out cake ] Alrigh,t this cake is the U.S. budget, you dig? [ pulls hunks of cake loose as he talks ] Alright, you got your taxes, and you got your defensive spending.. [ eats from the cake ] Mmm.. this is some great cake. Have soem cake, Kevin Nealon, you want some cake?

Kevin Nealon: I'm not hungry, thanks..

Ike Turner: Come on, baby, it's good!

Kevin Nealon: No, I'm not hungry. Thanks, anyway..

Ike Turner: Now, don't you do this to me! Don't you do that to Ike!

Kevin Nealon: I don't want the cake! I'm not hungry Ike. Please!

Ike Turner: Alright! You don't want the cake, here's the stupid cake! [ throws the entire cake at Kevin ]

Kevin Nealon: Ike! Stop it, that hurts! Come on!

Ike Turner: Oh, baby.. I'm sorry, baby.. I just get crazy sometimes!

Kevin Nealon: I know you do!

Ike Turner: I'll make it up to you, I promise, baby, I promise..!

Kevin Nealon: Just don't even touch me! Ike.. Turner.. ladies and gentlemen. Just get away, just get away!

IKE TURNER & THE KINGS OF RHYTHM - Getting Nasty

2 comments:

Cole said...

"lets take it back to the concrete streets, original beats with real live emcees, playground tactics no rabbit in a hat tricks, just act classic, rap shit from jurassic."-Jurassic Five, Concrete Schoolyard.

Rogie said...

Fuck man i've been trying to find this song for so long, I love how
all the fellas in the back are yelling and grooving... Also my fave
J5 song...